Thompson Memorial Window
afternoon the 27th of November, 1957 the stained glass windows
(2) known as the Thomson
Window was received by the Session and congregation of First
Presbyterian Church. These two windows were the gift of Mrs. Jean
Thomson in memory of her husband Dr. William A. Thomson, M.D.,
(1869-1954). Mr. George Robertson, Chair of the Board of Managers
officially received each of the windows on behalf of the congregation
during the dedication ceremony. The Very Reverend Norman D. Kennedy,
D.D., proclaimed the dedication “to the glory of God and in grateful
memory of Dr. William A. Thomson”. These windows, made by Celtic
Studios of Swansea, Glamorgan in South Wales, were erected and
installed in the fall of 1957.
The Left Window carries the symbol of the dove at the top, which
represents the Holy Spirit as outlined in Gospel of Matthew
Chapter 3 Verses 13 – 17. Beneath
the dove is the depiction of Jesus healing a leper of Galilee. Beneath these
figures are the symbols of a fountain (signifying new birth and the washing away
of sin) and the letters HIS, an abbreviation of the Greek word IHORC which means “Jesus”.
The Right Window carries the symbol of a winged horse at the
top, and beneath it is the depiction of St. Luke administering
to St. Paul at Troas. St. Luke
is known as “the beloved physician” according to the 2nd Book of Timothy Chapter
4 Verse 11. Beneath these figures are two symbols. The left symbol is the burning
bush, a very important Presbyterian symbol, signifying God speaking to Moses
from within a burning bush that was never consumed by the fire (Exodus Chapter
3). The symbol on the right is the Serpent of Brass. This symbol according to
the Book of Numbers Chapter 21 Verses 4 – 9, depicts Moses raising up the Brazen
Serpent in the wilderness so that all who look to it in faith are healed.
Thomson Family History:
Dr. William Alexander Thomson M.D., C.M., F.A.C.S
William Thomson was born in Brockville, Ontario on September
8, 1869 and died in Regina, Saskatchewan on September 29,
1954. Dr. Thomson was a graduate of
Queens University and Trinity College, Toronto where he completed his medical
education in 1893. Dr. Thomson practiced medicine in Douglas, Manitoba for
ten years before moving to Regina and was active in the medical profession
rest of his life. In 1915 he became surgeon to the Canadian Pacific Railway
and President of the Saskatchewan Medical Association. From 1936 – 1950 he was appointed
surgeon to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Dr. Thomson was active in the formation
of the first Medical Council of Saskatchewan and the Medical Council of Canada
of which he served as president in 1930. Dr. Thomson was also very active in
civic affairs and in pioneering public health in the City and the Province. He
was a member of the Regina City Council (1907 – 1908) and a member of the Regina
School Board (1906 – 1916) becoming the School Board’s chairman in 1915. Dr.
Thomson introduced the first School Nursing Service in western Canada in 1911.
In 1915 he became a member of the Health Council in the Department of Public
Health. Dr. Thomson was also very concerned about the welfare of young boys
and providing opportunities for them to grow and learn, and to stay healthy.
of the Regina YMCA from its inception, he became its President in 1916, and
later on was made Honorary President in recognition of his dedicated service
During World War 1, Dr. Thomson served in the Canadian Army Medical
Corps with the 215th and 249th Battalions, holding the rank of Captain.
Dr. Thomson was
an Elder in the Presbyterian Church in Canada, and a founding member of First
Presbyterian Church in 1925. Dr. Thomson was admitted as a Fellow of the
American College of Surgeons in 1921.
Dr. Thomson owned the first motor car in Regina, an Oldsmobile,
which was affectionately
known as “Put-Put” as it was a two cylinder powered horseless carriage. Dr. Thomson
worked continuously for the betterment life for the citizens of Regina. Dr. Thomson
was inaugurated as the guiding light in the establishment of the first medical
incinerator, a strong proponent and champion of pasteurization of milk, a leader
in food inspection, and on the design group for Regina’s downtown Victoria Park.
In addition he was instrumental in the establishment of the Regina General Hospital.
In recognition of his implementation of the School Nursing Service, the Regina
School Board named a school after him (Thomson School located at 2033 Toronto
Street – near the Regina General Hospital).
Dr. Thomson was always passionately interested in sports and kept
up an active pastime of golf and badminton.
Dr. Thomson and his wife Jean Elizabeth Thomson (Browne) were the
proud parents of twin sons and twin daughters. The family was deeply
involved in First Presbyterian
Church in Regina, and Dr. Thomson served many years on the Board of Managers
and the Building Committee.