The Martin Memorial Window
On Sunday January 6, 1957, the Martin Memorial window was dedicated “to the Glory of God in grateful memory of Violette Thomson Martin”. These two windows were the gift of Chief Justice W. M. Martin and family. The windows were unveiled by Walter M. Martin, Q.C. and dedicated by the Very Reverend Norman Kennedy, D. D.
The design of the windows symbolizes the adoration of God’s power, majesty and glory.
The Left window of the pair carries a theme based on Psalm 100, Verse 2 “Serve the Lord with gladness: Come before his presence with singing.” At the top of the window is the Crown and Star – symbolizing the prophecy of Christ’s Glory. Immediately underneath is a choir of angels. At the base of the window is a group of musical instruments that have a significant bearing on the subject of the Memorial.
The Right window of the pair shows a cross and the Greek abbreviation for “Jesus Christ, The Victor”. Immediately underneath these symbols is a depiction of our Lord, seated in majesty and holding the scepter of authority with one hand raised in blessing. This figure is surrounded by angelic figures singing praises.
The stained glass is created in mosaic style, jewel like and radiating colour and form in the best tradition of the stained glass art.
These windows were designed by Mr. Howard Martin, a Fellow of the British Society of Master Glass Painters. Mr., Martin is the chief designer for Celtic Studios, Swansea, Glamorgan, South Wales, where the windows were produced.
Martin Family History:
Violette Thomson Martin
Mrs. Martin was born in Mitchell, Ontario January 16, 1881. She attended school there and in 1904 she graduated from the Toronto Conservatory of Music with Honours A.C.T.M. in both piano and voice. She married William Melville Martin in 1906 and moved to Regina where her husband practiced law with his cousin James Balfour Q.C. Violette became very well known in Regina music circles, and was a well-known and loved soloist and chorister. Violette was also very active in the Regina chapter of the Independent Order of Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E.).
Mrs. Martin was a faithful servant of First Presbyterian Church and was active in many organizations such as the very first choir committee, the Heather Circle and the Women’s Guild. Mrs. Martin also gave often of her talents as chorister and soloist enhancing the musical aspect of worship in First Presbyterian Church.
William Melville Martin
William Melville Martin was born in Norwich, Ontario to the Reverend William Martin and Mrs. Christina Martin (Jamieson). He received his early education in Exeter and Clinton and graduated from the University of Toronto in 1898. After teaching for two years, William entered Osgoode Hall Law School and graduated in 1903. He moved to Regina and began practicing law. In 1908 William was elected Liberal Member of Parliament and for the next 53 years he served the public in daily activity and continued that service for over a decade of his retirement. William Martin continued as a Member of Parliament until 1916 when he moved to provincial politics and became the second Premier of the Province of Saskatchewan. In April of 1922 he resigned as Premier and in July of that year was appointed to the bench of the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal. In 1941 he was named Chief Justice of Saskatchewan and held that post until his retirement in 1961. During World War 2, William was appointed Custodian of Enemy Alien Property of Canada. He was created a K.C. in 1916 and in 1922 the University of Toronto granted his an honorary Doctor of Law degree. William served as President of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Cancer Fund, the Canadian National Institute of the Blind, and Ducks Unlimited Canada. He was Past Grand Master of the Saskatchewan Masonic Lodge and presented with a 65 year clasp by the Masons.
Being a son of a clergyman, Mr. Martin was always interested and active in the work of the Presbyterian Church. He was opposed to church union in 1924/25 and on January 5, 1925 he presided over a meeting that decided to continue the Presbyterian Church in Canada. On March 1, 1925 Judge Martin was elected Chairman of the first Board of Managers of First Presbyterian Church in Regina, a position he dutifully held until 1942.
and his family were faithful members of the congregation of First
Presbyterian Church and after his death, his family had his name
added to the Memorial Window.