The Linton Memorial
Sunday morning the 18th of May, 1958, the stained glass windows
Window was received by the Session and congregation of First
Presbyterian Church. These two windows were the gift of Mr. O.
T. Linton in
memory of his parents. Mr. Linton officially unveiled each of
during the dedication ceremony. The Very Reverend Norman D. Kennedy,
D.D., proclaimed the dedication “to the glory of God and in loving
memory of Adam Pierce Linton and Dorothy Turnbull Linton”. These
windows, made by Celtic Studios of Swansea, Glamorgan in South
Wales, were erected and installed in the spring of 1958.
The Left window of the pair depicts a story from the Book of Acts Chapter
9, verse 36. “In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek
Dorcas, meaning a gazelle) who filled her days with acts of kindness
The theme of this window is based on the life of Dorcas. To
this end Dorcas is depicted with one of her attendants, holding
a basket containing bread and administering
this to an aged woman shown seated in the background. The words “Full of good
works and alms deeds” are displayed in front of this group. In the head of this
window are displayed the symbols associated with Dorcas. Her name forms part
of the symbolism. The symbol at the base of the window is the heart – symbolic
of Christian charity.
The Right window of the pair depicts the Parable of the Talents
(money), which is a lesson in the use of one’s advantages. The servant is commended for his
fidelity and industry with the words displayed below the group of figures. “Well
done thou good and faithful servant.” Those that are diligent and faithful in
serving Christ are commonly blessed, and shall have not “laboured in vain”.
In the head of this window is that of the cedar tree – symbolic of steadfastness
in faith, and the symbol at the base is that of the yoke – symbolic of patient
The windows were designed by Mr. Hubert Thomas, Fellow, British Society of Master
Glass Painters and were manufactured by Celtic Studios of Swansea, in South Wales
and shipped from great Britain for installation in early 1958.
Linton Family History:
Adam Pierce Linton
Adam Linton was born near Galt, (now Cambridge) Ontario in 1884. He was educated
in Galt and then graduated from the University of Toronto in 1908 from the Faculty
of Applied Science as a Mechanical Engineer. Adam moved to Regina in 1912 to
work for the Saskatchewan Department of Highways as a bridge building specialist.
Mr. Linton is acknowledged to have been responsible for the design and construction
of hundreds of bridges throughout the province. Two of his last projects, before
his retirement were the overpass on the Trans Canada highway at Belle Plain (bridging
over the CPR rail-line) and the bridge at Saskatchewan Landing.
Mr. Linton enlisted in the 68th Infantry Battalion in 1915.
He was commissioned and went overseas with the unit, transferring
to the Canadian Core of Engineers
in England. Adam served in this branch in France, subsequently reaching the
rank of Major. Linton’s 1st Bridging Company was dispatched to Palestine when a Canadian
Unit of the engineers were requested by General Sir Edmund Allenby in anticipation
of the need for bridging in the General’s drive towards Damascus. One of
the structures for which they gained fame in the Holy Land was a large spanned
bridge across the river Jordan. For his work in Palestine, Linton was awarded
of the British Empire and was also frequently mentioned in dispatches by
Allenby. After the war, Linton remained in the Reserves and was promoted
to Lieutenant Colonel.
Linton returned to Saskatchewan and continued his work with
the Department of Highways. He retired in 1947 and died suddenly
in Regina on August 21, 1949.
Adam Linton is buried in the Soldier’s Plot in the Regina Cemetery.